Is this the Phantasy Star Online successor I've been waiting for all my life?

Getting real PSO vibes from this, which, especially combined with the very cool setting, is making me super excited. Anyone else come from a background of PSO?

Answers

• Man I loved PSO so much, dumped a lot of hours into that.

Forewarning about Breach though, this is a PvP game at the forefront. While having Dungeons and many mechanics like an MMO or ARPG, it's really an asymmetrical 4v1 PvP game.

• Huh, interesting. I wonder if that's just because of its current alpha state? Since it's described on the website as a "co-op action-RPG experience", I'd expect the PvP aspect to not be the primary focus.

• I said exactly the same thing regarding this game being the new PSO game that will fill that void. SEGA of Japan refused to release PSO 2 in the states and this game immediately caught my eye. From what little I've seen I'm getting pretty excited for this!

• There are four game modes currently:

Solo: Alone, with a party of AI Controlled Heroes versus an AI Controlled Veil Demon
    Coop: Four Human controlled Heroes vs an AI Controlled Veil Demon
    Versus: Four Human controlled Heroes vs a Human Controlled Veil Demon
    Custom: Versus but with any number of humans in your party.

There will be more story focused campaign missions in the future if I recall correctly, but because the 4v1 aspect is present throughout the majority of the game, there will be no traditional power curve.

You can catch streams on Twitch when the severs are available, and I believe there is gameplay available on YouTube to watch.

• I've been watching a daily Twitch stream and a few YouTube videos. Thanks for clearing up the Solo and Versus mode, I've only seen Co-op play so was curious about the other modes. I'm very excited for this game!

• That's an interesting concept! I can't wait to try it out

• Breach is crazy good imo :)

• I don't know about PSO, but I have a very strong suspicion this came from devs who worked on the canceled Shadow Realms project. Considering they came from the company where it was canceled, and it's effectively the same idea, I wouldn't be surprised.

• All I'm going to say is I really miss feeding my MAG. Also, the Dreamcast Keyboard was a really dumb peripheral.

• AyAyRonAyAyRon
    edited December 2018

I remember when PSO released on xbox/gamecube. My favorite item that hit multiplayer was the Elenor MAG.

• ReeksReeks
    edited January 7

PSO2 is accessible and encouraged for English players in Japan. Google PSo2 Arks English patcher and it literally downloads the game for you and walks your through stuff. The hardest part is getting past the captcha in account creation with a virtual hirigna keyboard. If you're craving a PSO Dreamcast fix, there's a pretty good private Blue Burst server running (the PC successor to the Dreamcast and GameCube classic with an added Episode 4) called Ephenia.

If this game is a spiritual successor to anything, I'd say it's basically Dead Island: Epidemic.

• @Reeks said:
    PSO2 is accessible and encouraged for English players in Japan. Google PSo2 Arks English patcher and it literally downloads the game for you and walks your through stuff. The hardest part is getting past the captcha in account creation with a virtual hirigna keyboard. If you're craving a PSO Dreamcast fix, there's a pretty good private Blue Burst server running (the PC successor to the Dreamcast and GameCube classic with an added Episode 4) called Ephenia.

If this game is a spiritual successor to anything, I'd say it's basically Dead Island: Epidemic.

Late response, sorry, but thanks for the info! I actually have tried all your suggestions! PSO2 is pretty solid, but felt a little too lonely playing on the JP servers and the steps to play in English were just a little too high to convince my friends to casually give it a go. I do have Ephinea installed, though.... maybe it's time to dive back in :p